|Where’s my District?||Long Term RYE Application||Short Term RYE Application||Host Family Application|
About Rotary and the RYE Program
– is a worldwide organization with 33,000 Rotary clubs in more than 200 countries
– consists of more than 1.2 million business, professional, and community leaders
– club members, known as Rotarians, provide humanitarian service, encourage high ethical standards in all vocations, and help build goodwill and peace in the world
– clubs are nonpolitical, nonreligious, and open to all cultures, races, and creeds
– has a motto of Service Above Self
– has a main objective of service — in the community, in the workplace, and throughout the world.
Rotary Youth Exchange
– Program’s purpose is to ; build peace and world understanding one exchange at a time
Exposure to different cultures is one of the most powerful ways to promote international understanding and peace.
Program provides thousands of young students with the opportunity to meet people from other countries and to experience new cultures, planting the seeds for a lifetime of international understanding
– The program offers numerous benefits to its young participants and their Rotarian hosts and mentors, as well as to the community at large.
Participants learn firsthand about all aspects of life in another country.
As their concept of the world expands, they mature and develop a deeper understanding of themselves.
Immersion in another country’s educational system enhances their academic and personal growth.
– Host clubs and families and the entire community are enriched by extended, friendly contact with someone from a different culture.
History of program
– Program began during the 1920s as an effort between a handful of clubs in Europe.
– These European exchanges continued until World War II and resumed in 1946.
– The reciprocal long-term academic exchange grew in popularity during the 1950s and became the primary type of Rotary Youth Exchange.
– In 1972, the RI Board of Directors agreed to recommend Youth Exchange to clubs worldwide as a worthwhile international activity.
– Today, more than 8,000 Youth Exchange students travel abroad each year to live and study in about 80 countries.